The Origins

The name of Serviço de Transportes Colectivos do Porto dates back to 1946, when concession granted by Porto’s City Hall to a number of entrepreneurs or businessmen took place with the purpose of carrying people. This concession lasted for 40 years.

Public transport, however, dates from 1872 in the city of Porto when the urban transport company -  "Companhia Carril Americano do Porto" operated the first horse railroad.

One year later, the operating railway company "Companhia Carris de Ferro do Porto" was set up.These two competitive transport operators were merged into one organisation in  1893, the business name of the latter having prevailed over the former- C.C.F.P.

After 13 years the above mentioned concession was given and one year later (1907) a company called "Companhia de Viação Eléctrica do Porto" was established as a result.  After 1 year of existence, this company  announced its closure thus, not having initiated any activity or started operating.
In 1908 it was taken over by "Companhia Carris de Ferro do Porto", which benefitted from the concession.

The company  "Companhia Carris de Ferro do Porto"  used this registered business name over 73 years. Still nowadays, almost 40 years after the company name having disappeared, there are many people used to call S.T.C.P. "Carris", ("Rails”).

In 1994 it became a State-owned public limited company changing its name to Sociedade de Transportes Colectivos do Porto, S.A.
Plano de Viagem
De:     Para:
às

Select a line

Social Networks
STCP
All rights reserved STCP, SA   |